About a broken or fractured jaw:
A broken or fractured jaw requires immediate, emergency attention by a medical doctor.
Symptoms of a fractured jaw include:
- Inability to open the mouth.
- Sideways canting of the jaw upon opening.
- Teeth appear different (uneven) than they did before the accident.
- Inability to properly close the teeth together.
If you suspect that your child has a fractured jaw, you should:
- Immobilize the jaw by using a towel, necktie or scarf.
- Apply a cold compress to control swelling.
- Visit an emergency room immediately.